Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Maintenance Routine

As I get older, I've found mileage to be less important than staying healthy. I can run some reasonably high mileage for several weeks, but if I don't keep up with nutrition, sleep, and a strength routine, I end up injured.

Then, it doesn't matter how many miles per week I've run or how fast I've run any particular workout. If I'm too injured to run, I can't race well, or, even worse, run at all.

In the following video, Ms. McGregor takes Carrie and Michelle through a maintenance routine for building strength and preventing injury (link to C Tolle Run).


Katie gives some great advice on maintenance a routine. Personally, I aim for an injury prevention workout 2-4 times a week, depending on where I'm at in my training cycle.

In the past few years, I had the pleasure of running with all three of these elite athletes at various times. I ran with Carrie Tollefson after her first marathon, the 2013 Twin Cities Marathon. She's a great personality, and I really enjoyed interviewing her for a RunMinnesota story.

At the 2012 MDRA 7 mile, I got to cool down with Michelle Frey and Katie McGregor, two elite athletes who won and placed in various state and national events including the Olympic Marathon Trials.

As Carrie is fond of saying, "Get after it!"

Run well.

No comments:

Post a Comment