Saturday, December 17, 2016

Treadmills


It's that time of the year again--running on treadmills. Though I got out a couple times this past week, Friday night was a bust. I was planning on running six miles, but the snow on the sidewalks was too deep. I only ended up running three and a half miles.

Though I'd prefer not, treadmills are sometimes the best option in the Midwestern winters. You can almost always dress warm enough to run in the cold, but running in snow deeper than an inch or so is pretty difficult. Snow kept me inside five of seven days this week, four days on the treadmill and one on an indoor track.

The biggest complaint I have about treadmills is they are boring. Still, there are things you can do to mitigate the boredom. Many fitness centers have televisions built in to their treadmills or on the wall. I listen to audio books to take my mind off running in place for forty five minutes or more.

You can also do workouts on treadmills. Varying the pace and the incline on a treadmill can break the run up into smaller segments that can make the run more bearable. Read "Four Great Treadmill Workouts" from Runner's World for some workout ideas.

Run well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email